Pages

September 2, 2011

Today We Tomato-ed

Originally posted to tumblr:

Today my best friend and I Tomato-ed.

In Nashville we have the Tomato 5K. It is a race to benefit the YMCA's of Middle Tennessee. We get a pretty good break on our Y-membership and it has become a way for my best friend to become a runner. She has never done anything like this before today. I am extremely proud of her because two months ago she could barely run 100 yards, and today she ran 3 miles.

This is her race to mark her accomplishment, and I am proud to come along to be there for the ride and moral support. Before this started she felt that she could never run a mile, much less a 5K. We would always have this argument: Anyone can be a runner, I could never be a runner, anyone can run, and so on. It finally came down to her weighing it and deciding she would cross 5K off of her yearly resolution list. Her resolution list is not only about cutting out bad habits, but  adding something to her life, like trying a new food, or doing something that scares her.

As you may have guessed from her stance on running, running scares my best friend. After two months of running little by little with Couch to a 5K she has built herself up to an incredible place that she can totally run 3 miles.
So today we tomato-ed and I could not be more proud - especially since she is already planing on signing up to run another before the end of the year.

You are awesome.

No comments: